Thursday 30 April 2015

Black Butterflies - Using Cricut® Explore

Hello peeps!

How are we all today? 

Well, I went to my first Zumba class last night...and I survived!! It was such a good laugh, even if you are a complete two left footer when it comes to dancing (as am I) it doesn't matter, just keep moving, shake your bum and have fun.

Mind, I do ache a bit today. Okay, I ache a lot today.

Right, enough of my unfitness, I have a friend Sandie and she has a lovely sister called Susie who has special needs. Now, I adore Susie and it was her 62nd birthday a couple of weeks ago (I've only just got round to editing the photos), so I decided to make her a few things with the Cricut®.

Susie loves butterflies and I thought I would make her a simple, elegant card with some butterflies. Cricut® has some beautiful butterflies in the image library including some with lovely flourishes.





I love the Midnight vinyl and it lends itself very well to intricate designs like this one, and on the plus side you don't have to worry about messy adhesives. The small butterfly in the bottom right corner didn't have a flourish coming from its wing. I found a similar flourish in the image library and 'welded' it to the butterfly image.

What you need...

Digital die image: Butterfly (#M3F781); Butterfly (#M3FE74); Flourish (#M44B4D) - Home Accents cartridge; Butterfly 3 (#M3A3DB) - Spring Seasonal cartridge  - Cricut®
Font: Cherry Limeade cartridge - Cricut®
Card stock: pale blue
Cricut® Vinyl - Midnight
Gems: clear
Adhesives

What you do...

Select the images and add to the Design Space. 
Ungroup the flourish to separate each part, hide the darker part of the two flourishes. Move the remaining flourish to the butterfly, adjust until you are happy and 'weld' the two together.
Add the sentiment and edit with the Cherry Limeade font.
Cut out all the images in Midnight vinyl.
Cover a 15cm white square blank with a 14.5cm square of pale blue card.
Stick the sentiment to the lower left corner and the butterflies around it. 
Finish with a few gems in the flourishes

Simple and elegant, what more could you ask for? I always colour my images on screen to the colour of card/material I'm going to cut it out in. You can also change the colour of the canvas on screen so you can get a good idea of what your project will look like.

Susie loved her card. For her bedroom window, I made the same butterflies, but larger and cut them out with Cricut® Window Cling in black. I liked them so much I did some for my craft room window. They look so cool. I'll do a post on them later.

I also made her a bag with her name on it, but I forgot to take a photo (silly me). I'll try and get one and post it up. In the meantime I took a snap shot of the Design Space with the layout of Susie's bag.


I used teal and white Cricut® Iron-on for the heart and lettering; for the diamonds and stars I used Cricut® Glitter Gold Iron-on. They were applied to a plain, white cotton bag. Sandie said she keeps moving it about the house, sometimes she lays it out on the sofa so she can see it. Aww! Bless!

I'm having a crafty boot sale in the Summer and as I bought a few of these bags, I'm going to decorate and sell them :o)

Wow! This was a mammoth post. Thank you for sticking it out and I'll be back soon. Toodle-pip! x

post signature

No comments: