Thursday 29 April 2021

Love Ya!

Hello there!

I'm back with another cute cactus card. I had a lovely time looking through the Silhouette store and came across some images of adorable cacti. I picked some that had lovely bold outlines, perfect for painting in. Rather than cut the outline from black card, I cut it from black vinyl and attached it to a piece of mixed media card. I used Catherine Pooler dye inks to paint the design.



What you need...

Digital image: 
Cactus with Hearts by Angele Kamp (#270153) - Silhouette

Font:
Funtasia by RVST (#313670)

Card stock:
Mixed Media Pad (A4) - Faber-Castell
White

Ink pads:
Aquatini - Catherine Pooler
Lime Rickey
Party Dress

Vinyl:
Midnight - Cricut

Patterned paper:
Sn@p Teal Chevron/Mini Dot - Simple Stories

Extras:
Adhesives

Tools:
Silhouette Cameo

What you do...

1 Load the image onto the Design Studio and re-size to approximately 2⅛"x 4" (6.5cm x 10cm).

2 Type out the wording, change the font to Funtasia and re-size to 66.42pt. 

3 Place the vinyl onto the cutting mat, send the image to the Silhouette, set the material to Vinyl,Matte and adjust the blade if necessary and cut.

4 Remove the image and stick onto a piece of multi media card and fussy cut out. Smoosh some inks onto a multi media mat and with a wet brush paint the cactus, hearts and pot. Allow to dry.

5 Create a mini slimline blank 3⅛"x 6¼" (8cm x 15.5cm). Mat a 1⅝" (4cm) deep piece of chevron paper across the bottom and add a narrow strip of vinyl along the top edge. 

6 Stick the lettering to the chevron paper and the cactus above.

These inks were a joy to paint with. I was debating whether to do the cactus in watercolours, but I thought I would try inks for a change. I'm glad I did play around with the inks.

There are a few cacti in this set and they are all adorable, so I think I will have to make a few more cards like this and play with some more inks/mediums.

I love the crisp, clean look that vinyl gives to images and as it is plastic it's great for painting within the lines. Wording also works well with vinyl, again for the crisp lines and you don't have to worry about applying glue and making a mess. I would think that you can cut vinyl with a manual die cutting machine, I might have to experiment.

Well, I am going to sign off now. I do have another couple of cactus themed cards to share,so I'll be back soon. Take care and thanks for stopping by.


1 comment:

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

LOVE this effect Colette, gorgeous colour mix. I find transferring vinyl to card a little tricky as the transfer paper sticks to the card, any tips? I love adding vinyl to card except for the sticking! I look forward to seeing your other cacti.
Faith x